Skip to main content

Houston We Have A Spacesuit!

I had to take a detour on my usual crafts this week to help my daughter with a project due in a few days.  (That she neglected to tell us about until the weekend before its due.)
The assignment was to write a brief report about a person from history then present it to the class.  She did all the research and had her report ready to go but failed to mention the small detail about also being dressed up as that person when she presented her report.
Her report was on Astronaut Neil Armstrong.  We made a spacesuit! Complete with a helmet she could hold like Neil while giving her report to the class.

I made the suit while she worked on the paper mache helmet.  
I started with a cheap disposable painter's overall. Like this one...
I made the NASA Logo, American Flag and name out of vinyl. I also covered the little collar in blue vinyl to match the trim on the actual space suit.

  For the hose attachments we used different sized caps off of things I had on hand at the time. (Like laundry detergent).  I then covered them in vinyl and stuck them on the suit,  
It took about a day to fix the suit since the Logo and Flag had to be put together in pieces.  The helmet (that I didn't get a photo of) was painted white and we cut a piece from a 2 liter bottle to make the face shield.  It had about 48 hours to dry before she needed it and it still wasn't completely dry on the inside by the time she presented her report.

Here are both suits.  Not an exact replica of course but it was close enough!
https://www.instagram.com/icre8sohard/